Towing

>From: David Fleischer <dcfnyc@domain.elided>
>Subject: Towing with an E34?  or E36?
>
>I need to buy a vehicle to drive everyday AND to take my E-30  M3 to the =
>track. Could I use an E34 530,535, M5 or 540 ?  Anyone know of any =
>5-speeds for sale? What about 325/8 could that pull it?
>Also I need to buy a trailer.

David,

You really don't want to pull an E30 M3 & Trailer with a passenger car.
Not that some can't do it, but they won't pull the load very well.  Towing
a car (2,800 lb) and a trailer (1,000 lb) with a 3600 lb, short wheelbase
vehicle is not the ideal setup.  Your tow vehicle should have as long as
wheelbase as you can tolerate, more weight than the rig you pulling, and be
fully rated for the capacity you are towing.

I've towed my M3 with my (former) Jeep Grand Cherokee set up with a Class 3
factory tow package and it was miserable.  The Jeep was a handful at 60 mph
and did not track the combo well...short tow vehicle wheelbase and all.

Better to get an older full size pickup truck or Suburban class SUV with 8'
bed, etc.  You can get decent used ones that will do the job for $ 5,000.00
and up.  That way you also have lots of room in the bed to stack tires,
tools, jacks, etc.

Duane Collie
NCC