re: Uniden highway alarm system

> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:42:39 -0700
> From: "-o=[KeNdRiCk=o-" <levoc@domain.elided>
> Subject: Uniden highway alarm system

> Does anyone have a Uniden Beartracker highway alarm system?
>
> what exactly does this unit do and how does it communite with the
driver?
> It says there is a build-in speaker, does this speaker play out police
CB
> conversations?
>
> Is this a useful and effective piece of gadget worth investing in?

I have the BCT-7 mobile/base unit and it works pretty well. Highly
recommended. It works by scanning the repeater frequency hiway patrols
use. Some of the Uniden models have a signal strength meter that gives
you a "distance to bogey" reading while the '7 gives beeps at you when
you're within 3 miles of a patrol unit. One thing to remember: the
frequency isn't always in use so it's not always going to tell you when
there's a patrol near. Never let a radar detector or
scanner/bear-tracker be your only tools - your brain is the best one to
always have on.

The scanner has 50-state hiway patrol frequencies preprogrammed and it
also lets you listen in on local police/sheriff, fire, weather, news, CB
and DOT bands. It's quite entertaining - sometimes I just turn off the
radio and listen to the cops.