E28 M5 tweeters

At 08:42 PM 8/18/98 -0400, Jonathan wrote:
>Has anybody replaced the factory tweeters with aftermarket parts?  If so, how
>did you remove the tweeters from the enclosures.  Direct replies welcomed.

I replaced the ones in my M5 with Sentrek's.  Not the hottest on the market
but a surprisingly good sound for my musical tastes, which run from metal,
rock, jazz and classical.  They were also the closest to a direct fit
replacement that I could find.

To replace them I had to take the panel that holds the speaker out and cut
the old tweeters out.  I then used a Dremel tool to open up the hole to fit
the new tweeters.  To make sure everything held up after installation, I
used a little silicon rubber sealant to hold it in and to hold the panel
in.  Took about 2 hours for both sides and I haven't had a problem in 2 years.

FWIW.

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5
'72 tii