re: Lugging

I think Lugging might give better engine efficentcy.  Many people in Thrid
whole countires lug thier engine all day long (believe me, people
upshifting at 1500 rpm going up hill, sheesh!)  and they have cars that
seems to last forever!  But I do think this causes harsh vibrations that
do eventually destroy things in the tranny and possibly the engine is do
continiously.

I personally "lug" sometimes when parking and starting off sometimes b/c I
do not use very much gas when starting off the line, it "lugs" for a split
second and then I'm off.  This only happens in my E36 M3, it never happens
when I drive the E30 M3 or the E34 535iM, I guess this is just the
harmonics of this particulr car, it seems to stall easy in comparison to
other cars.

I don't think driveing on level roads at 2000rpm is bad for you but not up
hills.  I am not an engineer so I can't prove anything other than what I
think.  I remember though reading an interesting debate on engine speed
and wear (higher engine speeds wear out engines, Metric Mechanics webpage)
So I believe that low-rpm driving, which I do not really consider lugging
(ie; 2000 rpms on level ground) with occansional higher speed use will
outlast an engine driven "sporty" at 4000rpm in the same condition.

I am not trying to criticize anyone who drives either way, depending on
mood I drive both ways sometimes.

Best Regards,

Garrick Louie