Re: Y2K and ECUs

Barrett, I generally agree with everything you said, I'm not disputing
anything here...

>Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:18:07 GMT
>From: barrettn@domain.elided (Barrett Nicholas)
>Subject: There is no y2k issue with ECU chips!
>
>Rodd: The y2k issues discussed in the press release you forwarded to
>the digest are related to the computers (PCs, mini, or mainframes) BMW
>uses for inventory, invoicing, general business operations, whatever -
>NOT the ECU inside cars! The ECU doesn't know, and moreover, doesn't
>care, what day of the week or what month, much less, what year it is.
>
>Barrett N.
>barrett.nicholas@domain.elided
>Houston, Texas
>BMWCCA# 130,000
>'95 325i - CeeKay, the SuperCar

... except I'm kinda vague on how OBD II works.  When OBD II records a
fault, doesn't it time and date stamp the event?  In this regard, maybe the
car's system does care what day it is.  Except, I can't imagine this
causing the car to stop running, it seems to me it would just interfere
with the ability to record the date of some emissions part failure.  But,
what do I know, I'm no Jim Conforti...

Just wondered.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid with OBD I, probably fully Y2K compliant...