Re: Why is lugging Bad?

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:57:46 -0400,
Bruce Augenstein wrote about Why is lugging bad?

> sensors), I say that it isn't - it's only bad for your teeth and jaw muscles
> if you are in the vehicle.
>
> Prove me wrong.

I can't prove you wrong.  A few points though.  Lubrication works through
hydrodynamic flow and faster rotation aides this.  At a very low RPM
bearing could possibly touch journals under enough load.  I doubt this
could ever happen before stalling.  Maybe engine would even last longer
since it would make fewer rotations.

BMW owners manual says engine will probably run rough due to fouling
if you seldom run up around 3,000 rpm and recommend doing so even in
town, to clear the engine.  Fouled plugs could predetonation with
subsequent damage.

This reminded me of an old "Scientific American" article written back
in the 50's, maybe even 40's.  The method they described for achieving
the best gas mileage was to lug it in the highest gear the
engine would run at and floor the accellerator to get up to speed.
'Course, that was before DME's.

    John