Re: Ended up buying the 95 740ia!

Steve wrote:

> Thank you digest readers, you unanimously thought I should go for and enjoy
> driving the 95 740ia I was contemplating, as I initially thought it might
> be a little to "old man-ish" and "boat-ish" for a 37 y.o. single guy like
> myself.
> I find that the car does in fact handle quite well for a behemoth.  The
> only thing which is severely lacking is that off the line, like merging
> onto the beltway, it is quite slow till the revs get up there.  Does anyone
> know if Jim C works well for this problem?  Does anyone have a Jim C chip
> in a 95 or newer 740ia?  It really is quite a performer though, and when I
> get the knack of the "semi tiptronic" set up in manual (you can hit "M" for
> manual and shift from 2nd, 3rd and then 4th sort of like a 5 speed but not
> really), maybe I can get more speed out of it on the lower end.  For now,
> it's pretty satisfying.

Great choice!  I may need a ride.

The car should have plenty of off-the-line power; I know my brother's
'93 sure does!  Some of the lack could be from some changes made when
the block was replaced (or perhaps before the replacement to make the
original last).  On your automatic, if you pull down from the drive
position into 4 (is it 4?) you'll see an indicator on the dash go to "S"
for sport driving.  This raises the shift points and may do some other
nice things.
- --
Pat Donahue  CCA 125031
Vienna, VA