940i vs. M5

   Hi guys.  I'm fairly new to this list, so forgive any accidental
transgressions to purists.  I am (hopefully) buying a BMW again sometime
next year, so i'm trying to get as much background info. as possible.
I've read with considerable interest the info. regarding the problems
w/the '40i engine blocks relating to pitting from sulfur in fuel. With
this in mind i have two questions: since i want to buy a bimmer w/room
for 4 ADULTS and i want one w/plenty of horsepower, should i target an
M5 (possibly more reliable for the above-mentioned reason) or go for the
more standard 540i?  Affordability is a factor, so that is why i would
be after something pre '95.  Any and all comments appreciated.
   Thanks all.
    Brian Wollard  wollard@domain.elided