<E30> More on Transmission Problem

I had an opportunity to gather a little more information
from my friend on his transmission (5 speed) problem
as well as educate myself on basic parts of the tranny
from a diagram that I found on the E30 page. The link
is :

http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/images/SS.jpg

The selector rod (5) is visible from one end while under
the car and the end that is connected to the shift lever
appears to be held in place by the Circlip (7). The
mystery comes in where the rod "disappears" to as it
is blocked from view by the transmission housing,
as  I mentioned in my earlier post (in layman's terms), I
had initially suspected that the Circlip (7) on the front part of
the selector rod (the part that cannot be seen) might
have gotten loose or popped out but that couldn't be
confirmed as being the problem without pulling down the
tranny. There's a part that isn't shown in the diagram and
this is the part that is towards the engine and the part
that the selector rod (5) joins to. I had explained in my
earlier post what happened but I will include some excerpts
just to make the thread easier to refer to. Another friend's
Saab  9000 had a similar problem only this time one
could see the problem which was a clip had gotten out,
he fixed it by putting in a piece of wire and managed to
drive to Texas before driving all the way to New Jersey like
that and suprised the mechanics in NJ when they heard
about his makeshift arrangement. I haven't heard from my
friend yet regarding plans to take his car to the mech.
anytime soon, I guess he's waiting to see if its something
he might be able to do with some help and save a couple of
$, he says one mech. asked him for $250 just to take down
the tranny and tell him what was wrong. The clutch is not
being looked at as a major possibility, though there is still
a chance it could be the problem. The reason for that assumption
is that my buddy says gear shifting was always smooth and
the car never jerked (don't know if thats a valid reason to rule
it out). I hope the diagram might help a little. Thanks in
advance for your insights.

Mike '86 325 166k