<E-28> Cold starting problem

Out of the blue Monday morning my 1987 535is had trouble starting! It has
always fired within a second of turning the key, but this time it took 8-10
seconds of cranking to get it started. After a short drive, I shut it off to
run into a store. Came out and it cranked up like old times. Throughout the
week I've found that when the engine has cooled down (ie. overnight or several
hours sitting) it's hard to start. When warm, no problem. Using my amazing
powers of deduction, I figure it's a 'cold start' valve problem. So, what
exactly am I looking for, and how difficult is a DIY fix? By the way, I live
in NC, so when the engine is 'cold' it's still 90 degrees!
Thanks for any advice. Please cc: my personal e-mail.

Chris Rucci
Line Captain (BE-400A)
Tom-Tom Aviation

'83 320is