Re: Fan Speed Resistor Pack?

Your fan speed resistor is what's commonly referred to as the "sword computer"
on the E32/34 cars.  It is located at the lower rear passenger side of the
heater box.  It's extra fun to get to on a 5er because there is not as much
room.  The procedure is usually performed with the top of your head resting on
the floormat ;)  A new one is around $300-$350 list price and they typically
sell for about $150 used.  If you end up needing the part number, let me know.
Good luck.

Benjamin_Trapp@domain.elided wrote:

> Hey folks, my HVAC fan will intermittently cut out at all speeds except "4"
> (the fastest position).  I understand from reading some E36 posts that it is
> a common problem with a particular resistor pack.  The car in question is
> actually an E34 535i, but I bet the problems are probably one and the same.
> Can anyone explain to me what is exactly wrong with these pesky resistors,
> and how to fix this annoying problem?  Are the resistors buried deep in the
> dash, under the backseat, or what?  Do they need to be cleaned, replaced, or
> sharked?  Please help, before my eyebrows blow off of my face!

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com