Re: New E46 328i

Will Lee writes:

> Has anyone heard much about the 1999 model 328iA, beyond the typical
> press bantor?  I've got the chance to place my order for the 1999 models
> at the US overseas military sales prices...they are setting the price on
> the 1999 328i 4-door at a base price of $29k.  Is this a good price?

That is 7.5% under the European delivery price Ron Stygar posted a few
days ago.  I would not object to that discount.

>   - What is the wheel offset on the new 328i

I am sure I have that number somewhere, but could you translate that
into German?  Boy, do I feel silly.

>   - How the new touted "large brake mechanisms" ranks against the
> existing M-series euro type brakes

Auto motor und sport measured 36.4 m (cold) and 38.2 m (warm) braking
distances from 100 km/h (62.1 mph).  That is 1.1 g (cold) and 1.0 g
warm. For comparison, a Porsche 911 will come to a stop in slightly
more than 35 m.  I can't find my M3 test report at the moment.

>   - Is BMW AG shipping any 1999 M-versions in fall along w/ the 323 &
> 328 batch?  I would ideally want a M3 4-d auto, but if I have to
> compromise...a 328 would do.

The European E46 M3 is not due out until the next millenium, though
perhaps you are asking something else?

- -John
'96 318is
john.firestone@domain.elided