<E30> Steering Rack (putting off the inevitable)

Folks,
   After rebuffing my mechanic's offer to sell me a rebuilt rack for $550
plus a few hours labor to install it (wedding in October = no big $
BMW-related expeditures until later), we reviewed my options.  I was
thinking maybe disconnect PS belt, get ATF out of tie-rod boots, regrease
the joints, replace the boots, and try that for a while.  He suggested
adding some ATF or PS conditioner to the reservoir.

His suggestion sounded much easier, and he didn't seem to think that
ATF in the boots would wreck the tie rod joints.  He also thought that
disconnecting the PS was not a good idea at all:
He:  "It'll be hard to turn."
Me:  "That's okay, I drove a Ford F250 with the PS disconnected for 3
years."
He:  "It really won't feel the same on the highway at all - it'll feel
loose."
Me:  "Oh, that's not so good.  I'll have to think about it."

The leak appears to be in the early stages in that fluid only enters the
boots when the front end is jacked up.

So, anyone got an opinion on ATF conditioner in the PS system?  Could it
possibly carry me through 6 Months or so?

cheers,
- --thad

FN:			Thaddeus Wakefield Batt
EMAIL;INTERNET;HOME:	thaddeus@domain.elided