More on Tire(d) Question

Gary said:

>Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:01:45 -0400
>From: gbuffone@domain.elided (Gary F. Buffamanti)
>Subject: Re: tire(d) question
>
>I have used the AVS Intermediates and even though they have been
>around for years and have been very popular I would not recommend
>them, at least for the track.  I got very little feedback from them; not
>much feel in the steering wheel or seat, very little warning when they
>are about to break loose, and not particularly grippy.  Felt kind of
>spooky.   I'm now using Dunlop SP8000s; it's a shame they're phasing
>them out because I like them alot and they are reasonably priced.
>
>Gary Buff
>95 318ti

Scott adds:

1.  I'm the one that did the research earlier this year about the SP8000's
being discontinued.  However, they're still available and Dunlop continues
to advertise them nationally in print ads.  Now I don't believe they are
being discontinued.  I think it was a Dunlop ploy to sell a lot of SP8000's.  I
still love mine, though, so it isn't like I got a bad deal or anything.

2.  The Dunlop (definitely) and the Toyo (I'm pretty sure, that's what the
"4" means)  that were on Paul's shopping list are primarily all-season
tires, and are not really well suited to the track.  I don't have any
experience with the Bridgestone 930's.  My recommendation of the
Yokohama is based on street experience.  None of these is what you'd
call a "track tire", but given those 4 choices, I think the Yoko would be a
better overall tire than the 2 all-season tires.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977
blah blah blah

End of bmw-digest V9 #39