<DME> Need help - Motronic Replacement, Used or New

Distinguished gentlemen and fellow digesters,

Subject car - 1991 525i, automatic

I am sending this to the BMW Digest and to a few select individuals.  As
reported previously on the list, my #3 ignition coil went, taking the driver
on the DME with it.  So I need a new coil and DME.  Dealer service (Heishman's
in Arlington, VA) says that a used DME will not work, that I must buy a new
one ($857) that they will code for my car.  Jason Lile (Zionsville Autosport)
says that's hogwash.  He has one from a '92 525i (same part number
0-261-200-405 as mine) that he says will work fine. However, Zionsville
doesn't take returns on electrical components.

Questions - will the DME from Zionsville work and is it worth $349 for a 6
year old one?  Is the dealer misleading me here?

Side issue: The coils on my car are described in a TSB (1202923506 from Feb.
1992) as prone to failure.  In October 1995 one coil went and was replaced
under warranty; no damage to DME that time.  No mention was made of the others
being described in the TSB.  I'm talking with Heishman's about replacing the
four remaining TSB described coils under good will.

Thanks to you and your assistance,
L. Dwayne Johnson
ljohnson@domain.elided
'91 525i