DIY SI Reset Tool, new version plans and graphics...

Hi everyone,

As you all know (!) I have been trying to nail down the SI reset
requirements, tool configurations, etc. so that we can have a better idea
of how to go about resetting the oil and service interval lights in our
cars.

I have a jumper with a diode and resistor in series that seems to work well
and will protect against reverse current flow into pin 7 (the reset pin) of
the connector if wrongly hooked up. So far so good but not as good as a
fixed-pins version of the tool that cannot be wrongly connected.

Anyhow, I have a new 2-part system now that is designed for use only in the
15-pin connector. I do not have such a system designed or tested for
the 20 pin connector. However, having said that, it would be a
straightforward matter to adapt these plans for use in the 20-pin setting.
My most recent tool incorporates a fixed-pin approach at very little
expense (almost none at all in fact!) and can be left on the diagnostic
connector to serve as a dust and safety cover when not in use. The shorting
link would not be present during such regular operating conditions, of
course...

To use the system you install the template cover (or just leave it
there all the time if you don't have a cap for the diagnostic
connector on your car), compress a shorting link and insert it so that its'
arms poke through the holes in the template cover. Power the engine on to
the "run" position, wait three to five seconds if resetting the oil service
interval indicator, or twelve to fifteen seconds if resetting the
inspection indicator. At the end of the appropriate time interval, power
off the engine.

Note: Those of you with the 20 pin connector in your car who adapt this
tool for your use should remove the shorting link after the appropriate
time interval rather than powering off the engine.

I have two graphics that may be of interest. I'll email these to Dale
Beuning and ask him to put them on his images site at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/images/

1. The first graphic is a set of detailed plans from which you could
manufacture the reset tool system from a 35mm film can, a piece of red oak,
a dab of epoxy glue and a piece of 3mm diameter stainless steel rod. Tools
required are basic handtools. No fancy machining needed although a disc
sander, drill press and bandsaw are handy. The file is called
"SI reset system plans.wmf" in the windows metafile format. It is called
"SI reset system plans.gif" in the GIF89a format.

2. The second graphic is a scan of the completed and built tool. It is
called "SI reset system scan.jpg" in the JPEG format.

If anybody wants any of these emailed to you directly please let me know...

best regards to all,

Aaron
Aaron Bohnen                     email: bohnen@domain.elided
- -Ph.D. Candidate, Civil Engineering Department, U.B.C.
- -Technicraft Engineering Services