Re: BIG crack in front windshield

>Hi all, I have just got a BIG crack growing in my
>windshield.  My question is......Do I get a BMW
>factory replacment or is there some aftermarket
>glass that might be better than the BMW original?

Just went through that myself this week. The info I obtained was:
* BMW windshields are softer and more prone to pitting and
sandblasting from road grit. Also, mine broke a little too easily from
a minor inside bump. Not your best choice.
* PPG windshields came highly recommended by several BMW and Porsche
friends.
* BMW dealer wanted about $715 to replace the windshield. $365 glass,
$90 install kit, $260 labor (What does that come to? 4-5 hours
labor?!?! Get real.)
* Several national chain glass shops quoted me about $400 for a PPG
windshield installed.
* I found a reputable local glass shop (which are often hungrier for
business than the well known chains). I asked them what deal they
could work me since it was not going to be covered by insurance and I
would be paying cash. Got a new PPG windshield, nicely installed in 30
minutes, lifetime warranty plus first two rock chips fixed free.
$272.50. That's $12.50 more than the BMW dealership wanted for install
labor alone.

Derek (92 525i E34, Atlanta GA)