Re: annoying E36 bonger

Marian Ranum <marianra@domain.elided> asks:

> Is it possible to disable the Annoying Bonger [on a '98 U.S. M3] which
> activates when I  open the driver's door with the key in the
> ignition, or when turn on the  ignition before I've fastened by belt?
> A dealer service rep told me it could not be done because it would
> prompt a trouble code in the computer if it were disconnected....

Disconnecting the gong will store a fault code but I believe that is
all that happens.  It should be straight-forward enough to simulate
its absence to prevent the fault.  I just wonder if by going gong-less
you might lose such things as the low-temperature warning. Does anyone
know what else sets off the gong, however briefly?  I have an idea. :)

- -John
'96 318is
john.firestone@domain.elided