<ALL> UUC debate

Hello all,

I find this debate about charging a SLIGHT markup for parts to be a bit rediculous. As a person who is involved with building a supercar
from scratch, I don't think many people realize how much time, effort and manpower it requires to figure out how something works, how to
adapt a new part, how to make sure it will work etc.

It requires huge amounts of effort of more than just one person for the simplest things. The person who thought up the idea, invested
all of their time and effort DERSERVES to be rewarded for it if he/she comes up with a product that is usefull / everyone wants. Why not
instead complain to Ferrari that their cars cost more than a Hyundai?

I tried to have some parts manufactured for some friends who have BMW 2002s. The little tilted plate with the two small balls that is
welded to the floor and holds the gas pedal in place. To have it stamped, holes drilled, little ball pieces machined and welded or
bolted, it ran $60 per piece for a minumum run of 200... Too much to resell at a reasonable price. And this was a friends machine shop
where the parts would be manufacturered at below a normal shop rate. The die for stamping alone would have cost him $400. Should I have
then given them away at $60 after investing all the time and effort drawing up the plans, calling long distance, taking time out of my
normal work to drive to the machine shop several times to see if the project could be done and then starved?

If you don't agree with how much money is being charged, MAKE IT YOURSELF!!!! See how easy it is.... And then see if the extra $5 that
they are charging is worth it.

Just my '02 sense...

Mark

- --
Mark Weaver - Brewer on the Loose
brewer@domain.elided
75'02 / 72tii / 87 Euro 318 / 88 F150 (for the winter, I swear!)
88 Lotus (OK OK OK, it's a Lotus mountain bike)
http://markweaver.com2tom.com/home.html

"...Man makes a car. Builds a road to run them on. Man dreams of
leaving, but he always stays behind..." Bono - The Edge