More help on the 525i

ok, I know I have a lot of questions...here is a new one...

Just my luck, the dash display seems to operate only intermittently when I
push the switch on the end of the turn signal stalk.  Sometimes she pops
on, sometimes not.  So my question is, is this  a common problem?  Might it
be an easy fix??  Anything simple i can look at to try and conquer the
problem?

Also, on the trip computer, there is a button marked "code".  I want to
know if the code is something that is factory preset to the car (like the
radio has) or is it somthing that I enter in the event i want to use the
system.

As always, thanks for the help.

John Fountaine