Re: Ethanol in Chicago

J. Leung wrote:

> Carl Foerster wrote:
>
> >Seems all the counties surrounding the Chicago area. including the
> >Indiana and Wisconsin  must sell only ethanol "fortified " fuel for
> >clean burning.
>
> Carl, to the best of my knowledge, the *only* brand/grade of gas
> in Chicago that *does not* have Ethanol is Amoco Ultimate 93 octane.
> Note that all other grades of Amoco contains ethanol.
>
> My neighbor Mike owns a few Amocos in the city.  He's verified that
> the above statement is true.
>
> Jason Leung
> 92 332i

  While the above statement is in fact true, it may not be the wisest
move to use that specific type of gas in your car.  Milwaukee has the
same EPA mandated garbage gas that other large cities have (thanks, by
the way, to our proximity to Chicago (FIB's!!)), but there were more
than enough complaints about MTBE (the alternative to ethanol) to all
but make it completely disappear from the Milwaukee market.  This was
due in large part to complaints that the fumes made people sick and that
the mileage was _SIGNIFICANTLY_ lower.  The local officials, of course,
denied that.  But bear in mind that, while ethanol might be bad, there
is no *reformulated* gas that meets our wonderful government's standards
that is as good as the *real* thing.

I believe I have seen Jim C. write a thing or two about how _all_ RFG
sucks.  He'd know better than I, of course.

Will Duffy, CCA 125725, Badger Bimmers.  In lieu of my car BS mods:
One of those darn conservative people who think that the gov't should
get their head out of their tucusses and stay out of things they don't
understand.