Chips n' Shimmies (was <e36> <M3> running rich, and shimmying)

At 17:48 Mon, 03 Aug 1998, Duane Collie <drcollie@domain.elided> wrote:

>Try rebalancing the wheels before you look for anything costly to replace.
>Wheels have to periodically be rebalanced.  Surprisingly - not many do this.

Thanks, but I've already done that. Twice. No help. Also there is no gross
play in the various ball joints, bushings and wheel bearings I've looked
at. The tires are new Pilots, but the problem predates the tire change.
I've experienced shimmy due to wheel imbalance in the past, this just feels
different.

>Jim C.'s chips LEAN the car out - not richen it.

While that definitely sounds like a reasonable statement, the fact is that
the car has been running rich since the chip swap. I agree that it is
unlikely that the chip itself is causing the problem, but I believe that
some other, previously marginal, component is failing.

>How many miles are on your car?  That can have a factor (02 Sensor, etc.).

54K on the car, 8K on the O2 sensor. BTW, there are no fault codes stored.

>If you are up near 70K miles then there are other things to look at.

Ok, name some... I'll freely admit to being nearly completely in the dark
where electronically managed engines are concerned, but eager to learn.

thanks for your help
Jean
'95 M3
<jfw2@domain.elided>