BL/SS markup

Anthony Dusovic writes:

>I have acknowledged that a person should charge a premium for enginered or
>modified parts and their ideas.  As a Mechanical engineer in a manufacturing
>company, I know what it costs to develop and research parts.  But I also
>feel funny when a standard product gets a new name tag and huge mark up over
>list. List price on any standard part usually gives some cushion for look
>up, pulling from stock ... or whatever.

Ummm...Anthony...  Do you know how many BMW factory parts and other
manufacturers' parts (i.e. "standard products") are marked up and relabeled
by Dinan, Korman, and other tuners WITHOUT any additional fabrication or
engineering?  Their markups make the BL/SS prices look like Sale Day at the
"Everything for a Dollar" store.

BTW, the M-Roadster shift lever fits an E30 M3 (I did the grunt work), but
I defy you to get all the necessary swap parts together in less than two
hours of research and a 2-3 day wait for the parts.  Or you can get 'em
directly from Ben and save yourself the hassle.

Bob Stommel
Hoosier Chapter
M3 LTW
88 M3 club racer