<BL/SS>Tact

>>Don't want to cause any flame wars but BL/SS which started as a cheap (what
>ever happened to the true meaning of UUC?) upgrade has become an overblown
>purely commercial entity.<<

Anthoney,
Sometimes, it's good to be an internet user.   Yup, you, me and about 3000
other people all know that if you really want to do a short shift install
the Ben L way, you just need about $60 in parts.

Consider yourself privileged.

Ben and UUC Motorworks have put a lot of time and money into the whole short
shifting thing. Checking part numbers, testing different models for
reliability, experimental modifications (like welding linkage rods) and
traveling to all corners of the country making the whole thing work.  Now,
months later, Ben has chosen to go off and make it a business.  I say "Good
for him." (I actually say a lot more then that, but that's another story).
Anyhow, yea, a lot of people don't know the cornerstone of the whole SS kit
is the M-Roadster shift lever like we do, but did you know that Ben
customizes each kit for the exact model of car?  This means that we no
longer need to worry about getting the oval carrier bushing for the M3/328
or the round bushing for the 325.  Sure, you might be able to get a shift
bushing (the nylon cup) for $15 through BMW, but do you want to do the huge
search to find out if your shift cup is the latest part that fits your car?
You see, people who get a UUC shift kit are getting an all in one package
designed for there car, install instructions, tech support and all the
proper bits and pieces that I know I spent a couple of hours looking up
(then again, my car IS pieced together, 50% M3 50% 325... Der Dinanstein
strikes again!).  So, do not see this as some ploy to rip off people, as a
mater of fact, as the www.shortshifter.com site points out (very reasonably
I might add) the cost/performance factor of the BL/SS is better then every
other short shift kit out there.

And yup, I am a BL/SS user, a friend of the UUC and completely biased to
this wonderful upgrade.  No hard feelings?

Greg Koenig
'94 Money Pit... Er.. Dinanstein