E46 test drive...ho hum

  <snip>

  air conditioner could have/should have worked faster (black car on a
  day with temps in the 90's).  why is it that americans are the only ones
  who can make a decent a/c system?

  <snip>

  Herman,

  I don't disagree with you entirely, but I had a life changing experience
  with BMW AC.  Back in the summer of '88, when it was hotter than hell
  fire all summer, I worked at Patrick BMW in Chicago doing grunt work.  At
  the time, it was a little over 100 degrees F.  I helped a mechanic
  recharge the AC on an 87 or 88 750il(why it needed to be recharged so
  soon, I don't know).  During a little revving, we popped a cooking
  thermometer in the vent and it read 40 degrees F, a difference of 60
  degrees F from the outside temperature!!  I'll never forget that!

  My black/tan 325is gets hot as well, but it's difficult for any car to
  cool down leather and plastic that's 120 degrees.  Think of your oven:
  when you cook something at 400 degrees, it doesn't cool down to room temp
  quickly, even with the door open.  I'm sure something could be done to
  help the AC in the E46; maybe it needs to be recharged as well?!?

  Chris
  '93 325is