Re: 1991 BMW 525i questions

>Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:07:26 EDT
>From: <Dinty4@domain.elided>

>For the e34 experts....
>
>I'm in the process of finding an e34 525i or 535i to replace my e28 (for sale)
>and have a few questions.
>
>1:  I'm vaguely aware of the alusil (sp) lining problem that a number of BMW's
>had in the early 1990s.  Is it possible that a 1991 525i would fall this
>category?
>
>2:  Are there common trouble areas that come with high mileage e34's?
>
>3:  Does this model have a famous timing belt that needs to be replaced every
>60k?
David,
Question #1:
Not an issue. The block is cast iron. Lots of weight in the front to help
the car understeer.

Question #2:
Water pumps with this year 525i (M50 motor) have a plastic impellor in the
pump. This WILL fail. If/when it fails, ensure a pump with a metal impellor
is installed. Thrust arm bushings go away and when they do, it feels like
warped rotors.

Question #3:
M50 has a timing chain. Nothing to change.

Steve

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
'91 525i (BL/SS, Korman mod head, 140k, Redline, K&N, chip)
'88 Cherokee (4.0L, 148k, NP242, Redline, K&N, MSD)