WTB CD-Changer for 1992 525 Touring

Hello,

I called on of the advertisers in Roundel about the CD-Changer and now have
some questions for the digest:

1.  Is there an easy way to tell which CD-Changer I need to purchase without
pulling out the deck?

2.  Can I buy an aftermarket Alpine or Pioneer deck (which model?) instead
of the BMW factory part and save a few hundred dollars?

After talking to the advertiser in Roundel I wasn't sure if I had gotten
expert advice or was a victim of the old bait-and-switch.  He said I would
have to use the Pioneer changer in the Touring, regardless of which head
unit I had.  Of course the Pioneer unit was over $100 more than the Alpine
unit.

So, what the verdict?  Am I out of luck ... do I just have to suck it up and
pay the price for the Pioneer changer?

AP
1992 525iT