'93 325isa repairs in NYC area

I'm new to the NYC area, would appreciate some feedback re. reliable shops in
NYC (or northern NJ/Westchester) for repairs. My experience with dealers in CT
and CA has been dismal - I've spent lots of money for routine problems, and had
really low-quality service. Most of the shops turf esoteric problems back to
the dealer, and then you're off and running again... any help around here?

Have about 80K miles, need some general engine upkeep/tuning,
possibly rear shock mounts, a few interior electrical switch replacements,
and a solution to a hidden (?window/weatherstrip?) water leak on the
rear driver's side.

Also thinking of some improvement in brake/handling performance if I can get
the health-maintanence problems solved first.

Thanks.

Philip J. Wagner