E38: Removing Ash Tray Assembly

I'm working on an 1995 740i (E38) and am replacing broken interior parts.

Does anyone know how to remove the center console ashtray assembly?  Not
just the ashtray, but the entire assembly including the foldaway cover?

I also need to figure out how to remove the center console (to remove some
aftermarket cellphone equipment).

Last, I need to replace the rear cupholder on the backside of the center
console.

Also, has anyone successfully polished the wood back up to a high gloss? The
center console wood looks worn and scratched by keys or loose change.

Many thanks in advance for tips.

Gil
gile@domain.elided
95 M3