Re: E28 Newbie Questions... **Rob

Patrick  <Padrigg@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: E28 Newbie Questions...
>
> I have just joined the list and after reading the current 'Bimmer'
magazine I
>have a few questions about the 535i.  Specifically about the 'dreaded TRX
>wheel/tire package'.  Are these tires expensive because they aren't made
>anymore or are being phased out?  None of the tire dealers ever list the
>prices, are they really high?  Is the bolt pattern one that would allow
>another BMW wheel to be bolted on or is more trouble that it's worth?  Do
they
>all come with sunroofs?  The article didn't mention anything about turbo
>charged engines, but I think I saw one of the liters was.  Also, what is
>'Sharked' in reference to.

Just some quick answers (too hectic today for longer ones, sorry!)

1)  TRX tires are expensive because there is no new-car application and the
E28 535i / E24 635CSi are the only BMWs that "suffer" from the application.
The only US sources for these tires are Michelin, Avon (very rare), and
Exotic Tire (decent retreads).  So demand is low and production costs for a
"low volume" tire are high.

2) For alternate wheels, you can use any E12 (old 5-series) 14" or E28 528e
14", or E32/E34 15" (5mm different offset, negligible).  You should not use
E36 5-series wheels, the offset is very different (spacers are available but
you might as well get the correct wheels in the first place.
Good tire sizes...
14" :  225/60-14, 215/60-14
15":   225/60-15 (slightly tall), 215/60-15 (very close to stock TRX height)

3) All US E28s came with sunroofs, but overseas models (528i, 520i, 518i)
were generally equipped in a variety of ways (sunroofs, power windows
optional).

4) The only factory turbocharged E28 sold in the US was the 524td, a
turbo-diesel (specs are in your owner's manual).  The only factory
tubocharged version of the 3.2/3.4 liter M30 engine that you will see in the
US is the E23 745i, gray-market cars that were privately imported.  Several
tuners offered (and some still do) turbo conversions for the
535i/635CSi/735i - Dinan, Callaway, Korman for example.

5) "Sharked" is in reference to the Jim Conforti chip for the DME.  Jim is
known as the "Landshark", hence the name.  His chip gives greatly improved
throttle response, smoother power delivery, more power, and better mpg - all
for around $225 from Turner Motorsport.  For the E28, the chip fits in
'85-'88 cars (pre-'85 cars have a nonreplaceable soldered-in chip).

Hope this helps!

- - Rob Levinson
'85 535i Turbo
http://www.bubbaclub.com/rob/callaway.htm