Unimog <wob>

A couple of decades ago, Road & Track (or was it Car & Driver) ran a
road test of a Unimog - written, I believe, by one Lloyd "Balloonfoot"
Bodine.  As I recall, it has 20 forward speeds and 5 in reverse.  It is
capable of pulling a fully loaded freight train on level ground from rest.  It
comes in a variety of body styles for use in the military, farming, delivery,
and all kinds of industrial applications.

So this Bodine guy jumps in, fires it up, figures out where 1st gear is,
revs the engine and lets out the clutch.  And it isn't moving.  So he
"eases" back in on the clutch and finds neutral.  Then he consults the
owner's manual, first time in his road testing career (???) that he's had to
do that, and finds that 1st gear will provide a top speed of 0.049 MPH.
THAT's how it pulls the freight train from rest!

The UNIMOG is a damned impressive vehicle, if you need something like
that.  As for an autocross support vehicle (someone's suggestion), I
wouldn't want to have to climb up and down (it is 4WD, after all) that
many times during an event.  Our GGC trailer works just fine, thanks.  It
would, however, make a great tow vehicle for the trailer, eh?

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid
1998 Durango (wife's UNIMOG wanna-be)