<all> drive for the cure summary

Hello all,

Since Cleveland (and New York) were the first cities for the Drive for the
cure road trip, I thought I would make a quick post summarizing.

First I have to say that, the M roadster is AMAZING!  I have never driven
such an exciting car.  Both acceleration and handling were amazing.  I
could not get the damn tires to squeal.  The shift was nice and smooth and
short.  The acceleration was smooth and very quick, especially above 3k
RPM.  The road course they gave us had all 25 and 35mph zones and there
were cops out there (one guy got a ticket for 55 in a 25...ouch!!).  The
course was also short (only ~7miles).  They made you sign a waiver that you
wouldn't go off the course, so I thought I should stay on the course.  I
later found out that a friend of mine took the M roadster out and kept it
for 45 minutes, went way off the course and they didn't say a darn thing to
him.  Oh well, next time I will know.  I also drove an M3, the 5 spd was
being serviced and the automatic was not nearly as powerful as the M
roadster, still pretty quick though.

They had all the cars there, including the new 1999 3 series.  They had
some cool wheels on it (17") and the car looked very impressive.  The only
car they didn't have was the 540i 6 speed (they had an automatic).  As far
as I know, not one car was wrecked/stolen (except for my friend's 45 minute
ride in the M roadster) so the next city will get to experience all the cars.

Thanks for the bandwidth.  Get out and drive that M roadster.

p.s.  There were quite a few boxster drivers there that were driving the M
roadster.  I don't think I saw one of them without a smile on there face.
All the magazines have been comparing the Z3 2.8l to the Boxster.  I think
it is time to compare the M roadster to the boxster.  That is more of an
even comparison as far as price in concerned and in my opinion, I think the
M roadster would blow it away on handling, braking and acceleration.

Louie Rendek
Case Western Reserve Univ.
1987 325e 130k miles
BMWCCA #144328