RE: Tiny Specks

>>>From: Ken Owyang <ken@domain.elided>
>>>Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 16:03:16 -0700
>>>Subject: Tiny Black Specs - Final Episode (Expensive Trip to the
Track)

>Just to keep everyone updated.  You may recall, I noticed numerous
tiny black specs on the rear bumper and truck lid of my 1995 M3 after
a day at Thunderhill.  I've tried everything to remove the spots,
including: Simple Green, Mothers Clay Bar, 3M wax/cleaner, and Tar and
Bug remover.  I finally got tired of making a daily trip to Grand Auto
and took my car to Diablo Auto Polishing today.  Reportedly Dinan
sends there car to this shop.  Well... we looked at the specs under a
magnifying glass and to my horror the specs are actually *melted* into
the paint.  No buffing these suckers out!  The owner of Diablo said
there was nothing he could do.  Even said that a thick coating of wax
probably would not have saved my paint.

>I still don't know what's afflicted my car. I received several emails
and the speculation includes: melted brake pad bits, brake dust, dirt,
tar, asphalt, fungus, and racing fuel.  Who knows?

>Turns out to be at least $725 to get the spotted areas repainted.
That's an expensive trip to the track.  I'm not whining.  And this
incident hasn't affected my enthusiasm for driving schools one bit,
although it may affect my ability to "afford" them.  I may hold off on
the repaint for now -- the spots aren't too obvious.  At least I'll
wait until I've been to the next school in October.  Maybe a need a
dedicated track car :-)

>If anyone else was at Thunderhill on July 19 and has noticed the same
thing, please drop me a line.  I'm curious...

>>>Thanks,
Ken Owyang
1995 M3 Silver/Black (and black and black...)

Ken,

I wouldn't give up that easily.  It seems to me that what you have ON
TOP OF YOUR PAINT can be removed using clay.  If the detail shop didn't
mention that process, I'd be skeptical about their abilities.  Even if
it does not get all of the specks off, it would probably get most of
them.  Clay is used by detailers to remove paint overspray, sap and
other airborne contaminents that stick/bond to the surface of your car.
I'd be happy to explain how the process works if you are unfamiliar with
it.  Anyways, I wouldn't go so quickly to the paint shop.  There may be
an answer.  Also, even if the detail shop doesn't believe that clay will
work, there is no harm in trying first.  Good luck

- -Roburt Waldow
rwaldow@domain.elided
'98 ///M Roadster
'98 ///M3/4