<E36> DME code

>>     Other symptoms include wavy lighting(inconsistent frequency) and the

>>    1) Could a bad alternator cause this problem?
>>    Warren Randolph
>>     '93 318i

Yes!

If you have flickering headlights and if you have a Valeo alternator,
then the most likely cause is the
voltage regulator, its reasonably easy (1 beer) to replace and cost is as
low as $45.00 $US for the replacement integrated brush regulator assembly.

the flickering lights due to a bad regulator are a somewhat common problem
with the Valeo alternator.

In fact there was an article in the "Roundel" describing the procedure.
I replaced mine on my 92 318is, and I can get you the part number,
the old one is in my car in the trunk, at work!

 I also did something unconventional...
 Since the regulator drives a highly inductive load, any sparking at the
 brushes due to dirt etc..intermittent contact.. can generate high voltage
 glitches applied to the regulator, So i figured it can't hurt to add a
 capacitor across the brushes, there's a nice little spot large enough for
 a capacitor, I think I used a 1 microfarad 250 volt cap, (a high voltage
 rating is important), the risks are, the cap could melt and short out!
 so far mines working just fine.

- -Frank Schulz '92 318is