[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

F.Y.I. Re- Cylinder Hex H

                                                                      9/27/96
                                                                      5:22 PM
 F.Y.I.   Re: Cylinder Hex Head bolts

Paul R. Reitz said:   "FWIW, the final warranty work done on our '91 325, in
October '95, included changing the head gasket due to a slight oil seepage
from the front.  The dealer changed head bolts at the same time.  An
unnecessary precaution? "

According to the tech bulletin, the factory stopped using the hex bolts prior
to the '91 build date of his car (actually around spring of '89 I think the
bulletin said).  However, since these Torx bolts are a design where the bolt
is torqued first, and then again to it's metalurgical "yield" point, they are
not re-usable, and therefore once removed must be discarded and a new bolt
used.

Harvey