[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: <E24> stiff clutch

re:: <E24> stiff clutch and brake dashlight

Stuart asked:
"How heavy does the clutch pedal have to be? Mine's so hard that
my medial-meniscus-impaired left knee was aching from a stop and
go errand.  I don't think any components are binding, because
the pedal comes right back up, but I could believe that some
lubrication will help.  Is it safe to loosen the return spring?"

I have an '84 633 that has the same symptom, I now have a stronger left
leg than right.  The resolutions may be you will be needing a new clutch
in the very near future.  For mechanical reason that does not make sense
to me, on BMW's as the clutch wears out the clutch pedal gets stiffer.
(I had a Japanese car that I do not remember a sore leg or stiff clutch
before the clutch went out)   I have 102,000 plus miles on the 633.

The reason I think your clutch may be wearing out is that on my 318i, it
had the same symptoms.  After replacing the clutch the pedal was soft to
a point that I thought the mechanic unhooked the clutch slave and allowed
air to get in the line.  He warned my wife when she picked it up that the
pedal will be a little soft so this even more so lead me to believe he
screwed around with the clutch slave up.  I check with a reliable source
who  indicated that  is how BMW clutch's act when new and when old and
tired.

Anyone out there that can explain the mechanical principals, why a clutch
stiffens as it  is about worn out?      Any amazing stories as to  high
mileage on a clutch.

Norman Hom