[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Corner scales, Yes Diagonal Increase

John Browne writes:
>Somebody wrote, in response to a question on corner scales, that
>raising one corner would increase the weight at that corner and
>at the opposite corner. Not true. Raise the right front, and you
>lighten it and increase the weight of the left rear.

John,

That person was me, and my statement is correct.  Slightly raising
the ride height at one corner increases the weight at that corner
and diagonally across the car.  Of course, the corners on the other
diagonal lose weight.  For example, raising the right front
increases the weight on both the right front and left rear tires.

While I'll freely admit that I've never done this procedure, I'm
usually able to read and understand technical articles.  I was
pretty sure about accuracy of my original post, but after seeing
your comments, I double checked three references on suspensions
before responding (Puhn, Smith, Milliken).  Perhaps you should
also check reference material before discrediting someone else's
statements.

I'll agree that raising the right front up enough to change the
CG will remove weight from the right front and add it to the
left rear.  However, corner balancing, weight jacking, or whatever
you want to call it, isn't meant to change the CG.

A good way to visualize the result is to put a four legged stool
on a hard floor.  Put a quarter under the right front leg.  Notice
that the stool is now balanced diagonally on the right front and
left rear legs.  The other diagonal (left front and right rear) legs
are now too short and don't support as much weight.

  Regards,

  Pete Read
  '88 M5