[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

M3 Missed Shift BS

I disagree strongly with those who seem to feel that BMW should be held
responsible for missed shifts.  We as individuals are responsible for
understanding the world we live in and for interacting with it in a responsible
manner.  That includes not missing shifts!  (Although I agree that manufacturers
should be held accountable for true incompetence and for gross negligence.)

For Example:  Porsche should not be held responsible for an accident that
resulted when a driver pressed firmly upon the gas pedal and the car accelerated
beyond the driver's ability to control it.  Piper should not be held responsible
when the pilot of a Cub ran into an obstruction on the runway - adapting to the
limited forward view from a taildragger is the responsibility of the pilot.  The
makers of Halcion should not be held responsible when users combine it with
alcohol, against the maker's recommendations.  Ford probably should not be held
accountable for Pinto gas tanks - we can not all afford to pay for Mercedes Benz
levels of safety.

Design trade-offs are reality.  Our BMWs are designed to be sporting vehicles.
Even if short-stroke shift patterns do increase the risk of missed shifts, they
are a reasonable design trade-off:  They improve the car's performance in the
hands of a competent driver.

Let it be, before we all end up driving fully standardized, very safe, and
totally boring cars.

Brant