[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: K-Jetronic Fuel injection hell...

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996 owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided wrote:
> I just finished rebuilding '80 323i (K-Jetronic basic) and now can't get
> the beast to run. It readily starts and runs for 5-10 sec and promptly dies
> of fuel starvation no matter what attitude the airflow sensor is in. After
> it starves, it needs to set for a few minutes before it will start again.
{stuff deleted}

This problem really sounds like your fuel pump is shutting off however you
did mention below that the pump seems to run the whole time. As you
probably know when you engage the starter the fuel pump relay will turn on
for a few seconds.  After that the relay depends on ignition pulses
(either directly from the coil or the elec. ign module) to keep the relay
energized.  Have you messed with the ignition by chance, also are you sure
the plug wires are all installed correctly in the right location and
order? When I changed the dist cap on my 528i I messed up two ign wires
and the car would barely run for a few seconds then stall.

If that is not the problem then the mixture may be so far off that the car
won't run.  I've found that the mixture adjustment is pretty sensitive
(i.e. a quarter turn can make a big difference) If you rebuilt the engine
it no doubt has all new gaskets so there may be fewer vacuum leaks than
before or you may have a real big vacuum leak somewhere if a gasket didn't
seal or a hose is missing which could be really leaning out the
mixture (like it sounds since the car will run if you give it Ether)  I
would try looking for vacuum leaks and adjusting the mixture.

{stuff del}
> 3. Bavarian Autosport says all internal fuel distributor parts are not
> available including the system regulator o-rings and copper washer Probst
> tells you to replace when you adjust the system pressure. Not to mention
> the o-rings at the top and bottom the barrel and around each slit.
> Are these BMW parts available from another source?

I haven't found a source but if you do tell me too.

Walt Barie (barie@domain.elided, http://www.nb.net/~barie)
'82 320i DSP Solo II Car
'79 320i (retired)
'80 528i