[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Z3

Scott <jamsys@domain.elided> wrote:
> I am a newbie to this list and need some input..  I just bought a Z3 and love
> it.  I would like to hear about parts and sources for the Z3,  and any
> personal experiences....
> Also is there a chgo BMW chapter ??? You can reply to me personally..

i'm also have a z3 (and am also a newbie to the list), so here are my
comments.

1)  i love the z3.

2)  i've experienced some sort of problem with the emergency brake of
    the z3.  sometimes while i am driving, my car will suddenly start
    making a horrible squealing noise, as if i have left the parking
    brake on.  of course, i'm not an idiot, the parking brake is off.
    usually, the sound will go away if i drive slowly and push the
    regular brake pedal while quickly throwing the parking brake
    handle up and down.  (no, the sound is not the disc brake pads
    scraping against the rotors...)  i've had the car checked out by
    my local dealer, who insists nothing is wrong, but obviously something
    isn't quite right.  anyone have any ideas?

3)  check out "The Consummate BMW Z3 website"
    (http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~decoder/z3/start.html)

4)  i don't know about any sources for z3-specific parts yet.  i'm very
    anxious for bmw to release the "sport fairing" which looks so cool
    in the little booklet that came with the z3.  if anyone has any
    information on this, i'd be happy to hear it.

5)  the first thing to spend money on in the z3 is the stereo.  good lord
    i've had alarm-clock radios that sounded better.  i had the stock
    stereo in the z3 replaced with an alpine 7930 cd head unit, alpine
    6.5" F17 DDDrive separates up front (with the tweeters replacing the
    stock tweeter in the door), an xtant 4180c amplifier in the trunk--
    front channels powering the dddrive speakers, rear channels bridged to
    power a 10" kicker solobaric sub, also in the trunk (the solobaric sub
    takes a nice small .66 cubic foot enclosure but sounds fantastic).  the
    sound is tremendously better.  even if you don't want a sub, go ahead
    and get a smaller amp--the 6.5" separates up front made a huge difference
    compared to the factory speakers.

- -- Alan R. Riley

  Alan R. Riley
  Senior Software Engineer              VOICE: 1-409-696-4600
  Stata Corporation                          : 1-800-STATAPC (1-800-782-8272)
  702 University Dr. East               FAX  : 1-409-696-4601
  College Station, TX  77840            EMAIL: ariley@domain.elided