[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hi-mileage BMW

***Hi. What is the best way to advertise and sell a high mileage BMW?
Although it has 114K, miles (70% highway), this 1992 325I looks like a
40 to 50K mile car. It's in truly excellent condition with leather
seats, great radio, four-doors, five-speed, and everything works
perfectly. However, nobody who calls from my newspaper ad will come and
see it because of the high mileage! What should I do? Should I try to
promote it on-line? Where? Thanks for your help.

David Holben
david@domain.elided***

In my opinion, that's high mileage but not too high.  No realy expensive
parts are ready to go unless the car suffered poor maintenance.   Your
price may be attracting only folks expecting a low mileage car.  The BMW
CCA has a monthly magazine with an extensive classified section catering
exclusively to BMW owners, some of whom probably share my view about high
mileage.  You can join and advertise for nothing.  I don't know if you can
advertise without being a member.  Some local chapters have a periodic
magazine, too - another classified source.
As you probably know, though, in the end it all comes down to price.  If
you look up your car in Edmunds Used Car Prices, you'll find  a
recommendation to deduct $5500 for mileage over 98000 miles from the
wholesale price of $16500.  Leather gets you an increase of $400 but no
auto reduces the price by $400.  That makes $11,000 for a wholesale price.
The difference between wholesale and retail (Edmunds) is about $3000.  That
may be your price range, between $11000 and $14000.

Larry
1985 635CSi