[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Roof rattle (E36)

I own a '92 325i (E36) and have had it from new.  I've had the car to a
dealer many times to try to solve a rattle perceived to be coming from
somewhere in the roof.  It is not something that happens frequently.  We (my
wife & I) have noticed it happening more often when going over expansion
joints in bridges and overpasses.  The car has a sunroof.  I suggested to
the dealer that perhaps it is the sunroof control cables hitting the sheet
metal.  The dealer assured me that BMW wraps these cables in plastic or
other sound deadening material.  The dealer has taken the headliner out in
an effort to end the rattle but to no avail.

Anyone out there having the same or similar problem.  By the way, the car
goes out of warranty next week.  Figures.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dick Baumgartel
Wine consultant and amateur sax player.
Port Charlotte, FL