[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (E36 M3)Lower CG/big rim

Bob Tunnell says, while talking to Vlasis...

> >As for the spacers on the back, what other aspects of suspension
> >geometry >are affected by the increased size spacers ?
>
> Sorry...suspension geometry isn't really my specialty.  Driving is.

Bob, now that is an understatement.

> All I know is with bigger wheels/tires, you'll need to *reduce* the
> offset in the front (get the tires and wheels further from the
> chassis and closer to the fender) and *increase* the offset in the
> back (get the tires and wheels closer to the chassis and away from
> the fender).  Spacers in the front; "negative" spacers in the back.

Bob, this isn't necessarily true.  If you are running a lot of
negative camber, you may need to *increase* the offset, or you will
rub on the spring perches.  I think that the only way to really know
is to get the demensions of the wheel/tire combo that you want to
run, and then measure the room you have to work with.  Otherwise, it
is trial and error.  Roland Graef is sending me a selection of
spacers, and I will do just that....trial and error.  I will go to
Wheel Werks, who will try different wheels(I will of course buy my
tires from him for it to be worth his trouble) and 245/40/17 tires.
I will need a 245/40 Hoosier, which I assume they will send me for
the trials.

It does appear that we have quite a lot of fender clearance in the
front, but not very much in the rear.  The rear will either require
*less* offset, or fender flairing.

> And remember, we're talking *millimeters* here.  Minuscule changes
> in ride height, camber, caster, toe, wheel width, tire size, even
> tire *brand* will dramatically affect the amount of offset that must
> be added or subtracted from the stock wheel measurement to maintain
> adequate fender and chassis clearance on any given corner.

true.  see above.

> For lessons in suspension geometry I'll defer to guys much smarter
> than myself, like Carl, John, Jim, and others on the performance
> list who have played around with suspension adjustments on lowered
> cars.

If trial and error is "smart," I pleads guilty, but I don't think so.
thanks   for the vote of confidence, in any case.

> Bob "when my car grow up it wants to be just like Carl's" Tunnell

best regards,

Carl "when my car grows up it wants to be just an IMSA GT-2 car"

Carl R. Buckland
1000 Boston Bldg
Nine Exchange Place
Salt Lake City, Utah  84111