[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: <e30> O2 sensor needed

cksr04a@domain.elided (Geiger Lee) writes:
>I want to get a new O2 sensor for my <e30> '91 325iC. My mechanic said it
>will be about $200 for the part and 45 minutes labor. Does this seem right?
>I have seen some O2 sensors for the 3-series in the Roundel for $30. Is
>there a substitute part that is the same for a lower price?

Geiger,

That sounds very high.  I bought my new O2 sensor from The BMW Store
for just about $90 with shipping.  Rodd Sidney will sell ya it for
even less (you may need to reuse your old connector, though).
The factory sensor came with a plastic cap over the sensor end to
protect it in shippment and had the anti-seize compound on the threads.

Installition took me about 15 minutes.... including cleaning up afterwards!
All you need to do is undo the connector (mine was under the battery), take
the heat shield off (just slips off) and then unthread the sensor.  This
is one of the easier jobs for this car.

WARNING:  For those of you with E-30 convertibles!  The normal O2
          sockets (looks like a normal 22mm deep-well socket but
          with a slot in the side for the wire) won't work!  There
          isn't enough clearance between the exhaust header and the
          side wall.  I bought a special O2 sensor wrench from Snap-On.
          It looks like a thick crows-foot socket.  It cost $26 with tax.
          If you're not anal about this things (like I am), then you
          could use a 22mm open-end wrench or an adjustable wrench.

     Hope this helps!
          Larry.
Lawrence R. Schwarcz, Software Design Engr/NCD      Internet:  lrs@domain.elided
Hewlett Packard Company                               Direct:  (408) 447-2543
19420 Homestead Road MS 43LN                            Main:  (408) 447-2000
Cupertino, CA 95014                                      Fax:  (408) 447-2264
Internal-only WWW: http://hpisrhw.cup.hp.com/~lrs/homepage.html
O-
             Copywight (c) 1996 Elmer Fudd.  All wights wesewved.