[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<misc> Spelling

>From: rbrowne@domain.elided
>Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 06:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Spelling
>
>David wrote:
>   >Don:
>>
>>I have no desire to participate in a flame war. However, I would like to
>>point out that if you intend to castigate others for their messages and
>>inform them that "most of the readers are adults and appreciate a
>>carefully composed, punctuated and thought out message," you might pay
>>some attention to your spelling.
>>
>>Try:
>>"capital letters" instead of "capitol letters."
>>"you're giving away" instead of "your are giving away"
>>
>>Some of us are just as bothered by poor spelling and grammar as you are
>>by capital letters.
>>
>>David
>>

>You know, a lot of you guys must be goddam poets or something, because quite
>a few of you HATE spelling errors, inferior punctuation, etc...Wake up...its
>the NET!! No grades are being passed out...its the land of BTW, FYI, IMHO,
>F-U, etc...Its not English class...ITS THE NET!!  Lighten up.  Don E gives
>PLENTY of good info...if he forgets a comma, so what?  ITS THE FREAKIN'
>NET!!  FYI...BTW....IMHO...
>
>Ron
>Bowie, MD

As a student putting myself through school working as a proofreader
(financial docs - talk about anal!), I find this all pretty amusing.

Ron you're right, you shouldn't get upset over a few misplaced
keystrokes...we all have built in error correction ability. However, the
bottom line is poor spelling and other mistakes make a poor impression to
the reader no matter how good the info. Whether it is for the "Freakin'
Net" or anywhere else it doesn't doesn't take long to re-read what you
wrote to make sure spelling and punctuation are correct.

My humble $.02 worth,

John Darwak
'85 325e/i (many mods)