[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:performance add ons

Just my 2 pennies.
All the claims of various aftermarket manufacturers must be taken with a
grain of salt.  I have personally modified a GMC Typhoon and 95 Z28 in
the recent past, and I can tell you the performance of each individual
component is not cumulative.  Each part may in itself increase HP in
that specific vehicle tested, but adding two components together do not
give additive HP increases.  With my Typhoon, I added a high stall
torque converter, chip, larger turbo, larger intercooler, auxillary fuel
pump, extra intercooler radiator, etc.  I was expecting Hp in the 400+
range, but instead got Hp increased to about 325.  I did lower my 1/4
mile times by about .7 sec, but it was all at the top end of the rpm
range.  If you are truly looking for 30-50% increase in Hp, you need to
add a supercharger or turbo to a normally aspirated engine, but if the
compression is very high, you will only get a blown engine.  My camaro
easily puts out over 135 extra Hp with the supercharger, but at what
cost?  I was willing to take the risk because power is corrupting.  Thus
far I have had no problems.  Good luck with the mods, they do make a
difference, but dont expect seat of the pants improvements with small
mods, like intake, chips, and exhaust, unless you dont have a highly
tuned motor.  Most BMW's are very finely tuned, so the performance gains
will be minimal at best, but there is room for improvement.

Thanks,
Lowell

96 M3--Boston Green
96 Celica GT