[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

corner weight scales

There is, or used to be, another low cost option.  I have, and have
successfully used, a set of 4 modified bathroom scales with custom made arms
with pivot points that rest on a bar on each scale and the very flat and hard
floor.  You then jack the car onto the scales (a lift helps) or very
carefully drive it on using ramps.  The scales have a calibration factor and
multiplying that by the weight shown on each scale you get the corner weight.
 I'd guess it is good to plus or minus 10 or 15 pounds.  These sets used to
sell for several hundred dollars from race supply houses.  I haven't seen any
for sale lately, but then I haven't looked either.  Perhaps with the advent
of electronic scales at semireasonable prices, these have disappeared.

Most tracks and larger car clubs (read: SCCA)  also have sets of good
electronic scales.  Find out when your local SCCA is doing its annual tech
for racers and show up.  It is usually early in the year.

If you are in central Kentucky, you're welcome to try mine (I need to borrow
them back from the last person).

You need to be very careful not to do any work or even lean on the car when
it is on any scales as that will throw your weights off.  Maybe the newer
scales are better here too?
Ken Partymiller