[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<E30>Intermittant Speedo

Ian writes:

<Help!  The VDO speedometer in my '84 318 (150Mm) has begun to fail
intermittantly................>

Had a similar problem with my E28. The difference is that my speedo and fuel
economy gage were intermittent when cold and usually would work when warmed
up. If I wacked the top of the dash with my hand I could make them work if
only for a short time. All the symptoms of a bad connection. My problem
turned out to be the main circuit board that speedo and tach plugged into.
Swapping parts from another instrument cluster was the only way I could solve
the problem. Fortunately, I had an spare instrument cluster since I had
replaced the speedometer (which had a defective trip odometer) three years
prior. I've never had my E30 instrument cluster apart so I can't say if the
construction is similar.

Good Luck

Paul Shovestul      <PShovestul@domain.elided>
'86 325