[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

91 318 iS and iX cars

A recent poster asked for opinions of the 91 318iS. I owned one for 3
years and quite enjoyed it. It has a very light feel with quite nimble
handling. No other car I've had has rewarded good driving technique as
much. For example if you keep the revs up the car can move but at low
revs it will be a real dog. Negatives include the profile gasket problem
(aka head gasket problem) and the fact that it requires premium fuel.
Also I had the leatherette interior and the fogging of windows from
outgassing was a real pain in the summer. The only serious problem
I had with the car was when the limited slip differential self-destructed
at 38K miles on a day when the temp was -28F and the wind chill was -50F.
It stranded me in the middle of nowhere with images of frostbite dancing
through my head. The LSD in the 318 is apparently less rugged than that
in the 325.

Another  poster asked about the iX cars. I've only had mine less than
two months so I'm no expert. So far however I love mine as it fits my needs
better than the iS did. Don't expect iS handling however.It is positively
freaky though how well it holds the road on dirt and in the rain.  I can't
wait for the snow to fly. Check out the FAQ for a detailed commentary on
the iX.

David Manderscheid
91 325iX (aka Carbert)