[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

<MISC> re: performance add ons

Devin Rutz asked

>   Hello, great list, good FAQ's.  I have recently begun the quest for
>acceleration with my first purchase for my '89 325i...
>snip<
>   I just ordered a Jacobs Energy Pak coil & ignition set up, $170 direct
>+10 hp across the midrange, 12-16 at peak. If I can't tell a difference
>it's going back.
>   Bavarian quoted +15 hp for the Dinan 325i chip, that's next months
>goodie for daddy.

>      StockM20...167
>      K&N..........7
>      Ignition....10
>      Chip........15
>                 199

>   What this is all leading up to is, am I really going to see 199 hp with
>these mods and a free flow exhaust-or have I been misled.

IMHO all the claims are typical sales pitch mumbo jumbo.
BMW makes darn good stuff to begin with. You can gain a little here
and a little there, but I seriously doubt those add ons will give you
20 HP. Probably more like 5-10. And probably only at certain RPM.

If you *really* want to drive faster, do a couple of BMW club driving
schools. More than a couple, do lots. Your car will amazingly turn
into a *much* faster and more capable machine.

After that : how deep are your pockets..?

Digest members don't seem to have come to any conclusion with the
Jacobs.. if you have a well tuned engine (new plugs, cap&rotor etc)
you will probably see *no* difference..

Chip,K&N,exhaust will all add a bit.. note though that some
'performance' exhausts actually are *worse* than BMW OEM

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i, K&N, JimC chip